Position: Deputy Dean : & Research Professor
Phone: (035) 902 6264
Email: LehloenyaK (at) unizulu.ac.za
Building &Room: Agriculture Building – HA17
Professor Khoboso C Lehloenya is an Associate Professor in the Department of Agriculture, University of Zululand. She teaches various physiology and animal science subjects as well as supervising postgraduate students under the same fields. Her research as a reproduction physiologist is currently focused on combining specific nutrients (antioxidants) and molecular biology to improve livestock production using assisted reproductive technologies such as oestrous synchronisation, artificial insemination, in vitro embryo production and gametes cryopreservation.
BSc (Agriculture) (NUL), BScHons (Agriculture) (Animal Science) (UOFS), MSc (Agriculture) (Animal Science) (UFS), PhD (Agriculture) (Animal Science) (UFS)
Utilisation of assisted reproduction technologies (oestrous synchronisation, artificial insemination, in vitro embryo production and gametes cryopreservation) in farm animals to speed up the genetic progress and conservation of valuable genetic material
Understanding how specific nutrients (antioxidants) and molecular biology can improve livestock production following the use of assisted reproductive technologies.
- A member of South African Society for Animal Science (SASAS)
- A registered member of South African Council for Natural Professions (SACNASP) in Animal Science
- A Member of International Goat Association.
Peer-reviewed scientific articles
- Ramukhithi1 F.V., Lehloenya K.C., Nephawe K.A., Seshoka M.M., Jonker T., Kotze A., Chokoe T.C. & Nedambale T.L. 2019. Phenotypic Characterisation of South African Unimproved Indigenous and Tankwa Goats. American Journal of Animal and Veterinary Sciences 14(4): 207 – 220. DOI: 10.3844/ajavsp.2019.207.220
- Nakafeeroa A., Hassena A., Lehloenya K.C. 2019. Investigation of ram effect and eCG usage in progesterone based oestrous synchronization protocols on fertility of ewes following fixed time artificial insemination. Small Rumin. Res. 183: 2020, 106034 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2019.106034
- Mojapelo M.M. & Lehloenya K.C. 2019. Effect of selenium supplementation on attainment of puberty in Saanen male goat kids. Theriogenology 138: 9-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2019.06.044
- Ramukhithi1 F.V., Nephawe K.A., Lehloenya K.C., Seshoka M.M., Jonker T., Kotze A., Chokoe T.C. & Nedambale T.L. 2018. Characterization of seminal plasma constituents of unimproved indigenous and Tankwa goats. S. Afri. J. Anim. Sci. 48: (5) 943-953. http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/sajas.v48i5.14
- Tríbulo P, Jumatayeva G, Lehloenya K, Moss J, Negrón-Pérez M, and Peter J. Hansen. 2018. Effects of sex on response of the bovine preimplantation embryo to insulin-like growth factor 1, activin A, and WNT7A. MBC Developmental Biology. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12861-018-0176-2
- Kekana T.W., Nherera‐Chokuda F.V., Muya M.C., Manyama K.M. Lehloenya K.C. 2018. Milk production and blood metabolites of dairy cattle as influenced by thermal-humidity index. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 50:921–924. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-018-1513-y
- Tribulo P, da Silva Leão BC, Lehloenya KC, Mingoti GZ, Hansen PJ. 2017. Consequences of Endogenous and Exogenous WNT Signaling for Development and Blastocyst Cell Allocation in the Preimplantation Bovine Embryo. Biology of Reproduction. 96 (6): 1129-1141.
- Ramukhithi, F.V., Matabane M.B., Nephawe K.A., Chokoe T.C., Mphaphathi ML, Lehloenya, K.C & Nedambale, T.L. 2017. Attainment of puberty in South African unimproved indigenous buck. Small Rumin. Res. 153: 57–61.
- Lukusa K. & Lehloenya K.C. 2017. Selenium supplementation improves testicular characteristics and semen quality of Saanen bucks. Small Rumin. Res. 151: 52–58.
- Chella L.C., Kunene K. & Lehloenya K.C. 2017. A comparative study on the quality of semen from Zulu rams at various ages and during different seasons in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Small Rumin. Res. 151: 104–109.
- Nkadimeng M.,. van Marle-Koster A B , E., Netshirovha B , T. R. , , Nedambale T. L. & Lehloenya K. C. The role of cell apoptosis on in vitro produced beef cattle embryos. Reprod. Fertil. Dev.29(1) 181-181. https://doi.org/10.1071/RDv29n1Ab145
- Bopape, M.B., Lehloenya, K.C., Pilane, C. M. & Nedambale, T.L. 2017. The effect of indigenous chicken egg yolk sources and temperature on short term preservation of indigenous goat semen Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 29(1):191 (abstract) DOI: 10.1071/RDv29n1Ab165
- Lehloenya, K.C., Mojapelo, M.M., & van Ryssen, J.B.J. 2015. Effect of Selenium supplementation on reproductive activity of Saanen goats. Joint Annual Meeting of Animal Dairy Science Association and American Society of Animal Science. 12-16 July, Orlando, Florida.
- Lehloenya, K.C., Mpebe, N.A. & Gonzalez-Bulnes, A. 2013. Effect of breed and follicular status on response to superovulation in South African goats. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 25 (1): 318 (abstract)
- Lehloenya, K.C, Mahoete, N., Greyling, J.P.C. & Nedambale T.L. 2011. Effect of breed and frozen-thawed ram semen on in vitro fertilization and ovine embryonic development. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 23 (1): 170 (abstract)
- Mapeka, M.H., Lehloenya, K.C., Mphaphathi, M.L. & Nedambale T.L. 2011. In vitro fertilization rate of matured pig oocytes by frozen-thawed Kolbroek pig semen. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 23 (1): 208 (abstract)
- Lehloenya, K.C. & Greyling, J.P.C. 2010. Boer goat embryos born following transfer of cryopreserved embryos. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 22 (1): 207 (abstract)
- Lehloenya, K.C., Greyling, J. P. C. & Grobler, S. 2006. Embryo production in Boer goats. Reprod Domest Anim. 41: 344 (Abstract)
- Lehloenya, K. C., Greyling, J. P. C. & Schwalbach, L. M. J. 2005. General characterisation of traditional small-scale farmers in the peri-urban areas of Bloemfontein, South Africa. In: Rege J.E.O. Nyamu A.M. and Sendal D. (Eds) Proceedings of the 4th All Africa conference on Animal Agriculture Arusha, Tanzania. pp 411-4115
Conference Participation: 2015-2019
- Lehloenya K.C., Lukusa K.., Ramukhithi F. V., Matabane M. B,. Hassen A. 2019. Effects of semen collection methods and equilibration times on post-thaw sperm kinematic parameters of Saanen bucks. Proceedings of the Annual Conference of 35th Annual Meeting A.E.T.E.13-14 September 201, Murcia, Spain.
- Siphugu, M.S., Mashiloane, M.L. Barry, D.M.& Lehloenya, K.C. 2019. Comparison of different methods of Assisted Reproductive Technologies in evaluating the ovarian structures in small ruminants. 51st Congress of South African Society for Animal Science, 10-12 June, Bloemfontein, South Africa.
- Ahmed, O.M., Lehloenya K.C.& Hassen, A. 2019. Effect of β-carotene supplementation on production and reproduction traits in merino ewes. 51st Congress of South African Society for Animal Science, 10-12 June, Bloemfontein, South Africa.
- Mojapelo, M.M., Lehloenya, K.C. & van Ryssen, J.B.J., 2017. The effects of selenium supplementation and induced stress on semen quality and reproductive hormones. 50th Congress of South African Society for Animal Science, 18-21 September, Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
- Bopape, M.A., Lehloenya, K.C., & Nedambale, T.L. 2017. Fertilizing ability of short term preservation of South African indigenous goats semen. 50th Congress of South African Society for Animal Science, 18-21 September, Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
- Mashamaite M.O., Gore D.L.M. & Lehloenya K.C. 2017. Reproduction performance of Saanen goats following two oestrous synchronisation protocols. 50th congress of South African Society for Animal Science, 18-21 September 2017. Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- Kekana T.W., Nherera‐Chokuda F.V., Muya M.C., Lehloenya K.C. 2017. Effect of herb antioxidants on blood proteins and milk quality of early lactating dairy cows. 50th Congress of South African Society for Animal Science, 18-21 September 2017, Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa.
- Lehloenya, K.C., Lukusa, K. 2016. Effect of selenium supplementation on fresh and cryopreserved sperm quality of Saanen bucks. 18th International Congress of Animal Reproduction 26-30 June, Tours, France
- Gore, D.L.M. & Lehloenya, K.C. 2016. Effects of β-carotene supplementation on ovarian and glutathione peroxidase activity following synchronised oestrus in Saanen goats. 49th Congress of South African Society for Animal Science, 3-6 July 2016, Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa.
- Mapeka M.H. , Maqhashu A., Treadwell R., Masenya M.B., Pilane C.M Norris D. Lehloenya K.C. 2016. Correlation of bull sperm motility and fertility rate following artificial insemination and in vitro fertilization in South African. 49th Congress of South African Society for Animal Science, 3-6 July 2016, Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa.