The UNIZULU Computer Science department hosted a roadshow, where the representatives from the Data Intensive Research Initiative of South Africa (DIRISA) presented the services that they offer event took place on 19th June 2023. DIRISA has a National Research Data Infrastructure.
The services they offer include:
- Data management planning – understanding the importance of data management plans and learning how to use the South African Data Management Planning (SA DMP) Tool.
- Federated Identities – Understanding the importance and use of federated identities through DIRISA’s user subscription tool.
- Data Storage and Data Sharing – Discover the benefits of using DIRISA’s services for storing and sharing data.
- Data preservation and long-term archive – Dive into the benefits of using long-term archival solutions provided by DIRISA. Digital Object Identifiers – The importance of using digital identifiers through data cite will be discussed
They also have Human Capital Development (HCD) programmes which are:
- DIRISA coding school
The aim is to introduce coding concepts, cybersecurity awareness, and industry exposure to high school learners.
- DIRISA Student Datathon Challenge
The focus is on undergraduate students in universities and TVET colleges. UNIZULU Computer Science students have been participating since 2020.
- National E-Science Postgraduate Teaching and Training Platform
The platform aims to develop human capital with the knowledge and skills to conduct cutting-edge research.
- Train the trainer
The focus is to train educators.
By Nombuso Sibeko